Integrating Two Great Companies
Constellation’s merger with Exelon Corporation begins an exciting new chapter in Constellation’s proud story, which dates back to 1816 when Baltimore Gas and Electric was the first gas utility in the country. One of the nation’s leading generation competitive retail and wholesale supply companies will make it easier to provide innovative energy products and cleaner energy at more competitive prices to our more than 90,000 business and government customers and more than 1 million residential competitive supply customers.
What Stays the Same
- The competitive retail and wholesale supply business will still be branded Constellation. This means that our customers are still receiving the same great service, added value, and available electricity, natural gas, load response, solar and energy efficiency programs that they have come to expect from Constellation.
- Other brands operating under Constellation include Constellation NewEnergy, Constellation NewEnergy Gas Division, MXenergy, StarTex Power, BGE Home and ONEOK Energy Marketing.
- Exelon’s BGE, ComEd and PECO utilities will remain headquartered in Baltimore, Chicago and Philadelphia, respectively and are independent from Constellation. Click here for more about Constellation and Exelon’s corporate structure.
- Our contact phone numbers and email addresses remain the same, and our customers can still manage their accounts and get product information online.
Constellation is now purely focused on delivering innovative energy solutions to residential, business, government and wholesale supply customers across the United States and Canada.
Exelon’s utilities are separate from Constellation.
Exelon Energy (Exelon’s competitive retail energy supplier) will integrate with Constellation over the next year. We will make sure that both sets of customers continue to receive valuable and seamless service and a great customer experience. Over the coming months, you may see both the Constellation and Exelon Energy brands in the marketplace until we unite under the Constellation brand. We are committed to keeping our customers and other stakeholders informed throughout this transition.
Benefits to Constellation Customers
- Constellation’s customers will benefit from the combined organization’s ability to offer long-term contracts, more competitive prices and expanded retail offerings as the cost efficiencies of our larger scale are fully realized.
- Increased scale and financial strength will bring more competition and clean energy supply to more customers.
- The combined company is in a position to expand its competitive energy business supported by a low-cost base, operational efficiencies and investment in innovation, including expansion of renewable and green product options and services.
Benefits to Maryland, Baltimore & BGE Customers
- The commercial and renewable energy businesses will remain in Baltimore, and a state-of-the-art LEED office center will be built to house the expanded businesses.
- The total value of direct investment in Maryland will be more than $1 billion.
- Charitable giving averaging $7 million annually will be maintained for at least 10 years following the merger.
- $10 million will be provided to support the objectives of the EmPower Maryland Energy Efficiency Act.
- $10 million will be provided to help support the Electric Universal Service Program (EUSP) in Maryland
- At least $625 million will be invested to develop 285 - 300 megawatts of new generation in Maryland, including 165-180 megawatts of renewable energy.
- A $100 credit will be given to each BGE residential customer within 90 days after the completion of the merger.
- $32 million will be provided for offshore wind research and development in Maryland.
- $50 million will be provided to weatherize and provide energy conservation measures for low-to-mandate income homes.