Toys“R”Us 5.4 MW Solar Rooftop in Flanders, NJ
How Solar Power Works for Toys "R" Us
Toys"R"Us, Inc. is committed to being a good neighbor in the communities it serves and to providing an exceptional shopping environment. This commitment includes their implementation of various company-wide sustainable initiatives that conserve energy, minimize waste, reduce the company's overall impact on the environment and diminish the company's carbon footprint today and for years to come.
- 5.38 MW DC single rooftop mounted solar installation
- 37,411 ultra lightweight UNI-SOLAR® brand photovoltaic solar panels, manufactured by United Solar
- 6,362,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity anticipated to be generated annually
- 66 percent of the distribution center's annual electric consumption will be provided (estimated)
- 20-year Power Purchase Agreement
- At the completion of construction in 2011, the system was one of the largest operational solar rooftop installation in the United States
- The solar panels cover 869,294 square feet, nearly 70% of the roof's surface, roughly 20 acres
- The system is comprised of thin-film photovoltaic panels that are flexible, lightweight, durable and maintain performance, even in sub-optimal lighting conditions
- The non-ballasted, non-penetrating and removable racking system allows access to the roof and prevents debris build-up and maintenance issues
Why Toys“R”Us chose Solar
Toys“R”Us initially considered installing a solar rooftop project at its Flanders, NJ distribution center to provide clean, renewable energy for a large portion of the facility's electrical load, while utilizing space that would otherwise go unused. Much of the distribution center's electrical demand occurs during the summer "on-peak" hours when the solar production is the greatest, making this installation an optimal solution to support energy consumption. Toys“R”Us utilized a fixed-price 20-year power purchase agreement, thus providing budget certainty for a major operating cost by ensuring energy costs would remain constant during high demand periods when energy prices could increase. Additionally, the use of sustainable energy is consistent with the company's overall corporate environmental goals.
Solar energy is clean, renewable and provides abundant amounts of safe and sustainable energy for both heat and power. Solar energy is the fastest growing energy source in the world and is more reliable and affordable than ever before.
- Over 20 years, the system will generate the same amount of electricity that with non-renewable resources would result in the release of 96,500 metric tons of carbon dioxide
- The equivalent greenhouse gas emissions from 18,920 passenger vehicles
- During the life of the contract the solar system will generate enough electricity equivalent to CO2 emissions from the electricity use of more than 12,000 average American homes
- Carbon dioxide emissions from more than 224,420 barrels of oil consumed will be saved over 20 years, by using renewable energy
Power Purchase Agreement
As part of the 20-year Power Purchase Agreement, Constellation Energy designated 7,500 Green-e Certified renewable energy certificates (RECs) per year through 2014 to the Toys“R”Us International Flagship store in Times Square, effectively offsetting 100% of the 7,064,800 kilowatt-hours of electricity needed to power the New York City location.
Ready to begin discussing your options? We'll put a specialist in touch with you.
Will Solar Work For You?
Watch this video to find out.
These materials are provided by Constellation NewEnergy, Inc., Constellation Energy Power Choice, LLC, Constellation Energy Gas Choice, LLC, Constellation Energy Services, Inc., Constellation Energy Services – Natural Gas, LLC, or BGE Home Products & Services, LLC (d/b/a BGE Home, Constellation Electric and Constellation Home in Maryland and d/b/a Constellation Home in Pennsylvania and Texas), each a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation. Exelon Corporation also owns Baltimore Gas and Electric Company (BGE), ComEd and PECO energy companies. BGE Home Products & Services, LLC, is not the same company as BGE, the regulated utility. The prices of Constellation are not regulated by any state Public Utility Commission. You do not have to buy Constellation electricity, natural gas or any other products to receive the same quality regulated service from your local utility. Brand names and product names are trademarks or service marks of their respective holders. All rights reserved. Errors and omissions excepted.
Electricity or Gas Supplier License #s: CT DPUC Docket No.99-11-14 07-03-08, 06-02-17; GA PSC License Docket #: 22253, GM-33; IL #s 11-0394, 10-0540, 02-0489; 10-0129, 07-0279, MD License #s IR-228, IR-1853, IR-311, IR-327, IR-500; MA License #CS-045; MI Case #U-14066, U-13660; NJ License #ESL-0016, ESL-0066; GSL-0074; OH #s 00-003E(7); 02-021G(6); PA#s A-125050, A-110036, A-110186; Washington D.C. Supplier License Docket EA01-5, EA-06-5-4, #GA-2012-12, GA-11-5