Signing Up for Service in Connecticut: Your FAQ’s Answered
- Home Page
- Energy Solutions
- For Your Home
- Solutions by State
- Connecticut Energy
- Signing Up for Service in Connecticut: Your FAQ’s Answered
Whether this is your first time signing up with an electricity provider or you're switching suppliers, you may have questions about the enrollment process in Connecticut. We've created some FAQs to help you better understand what happens when you choose Constellation to be your electricity provider.
- Should I receive a confirmation email from Constellation? Yes, you should receive a confirmation email from Constellation within 48 hours of signing up for service with us. This email will provide the details of the plan you selected, along with an explanation of the switch process in Connecticut.
- How long does the switch process in Connecticut take? Switching from your utility to a supplier, like Constellation, can take up to 2 billing cycles. Once we receive your request to switch, a notification is then sent to your current utility company to accept or reject the request. Once we are notified that your request to switch has been accepted, you will receive a Welcome Packet from us, and you’ll see Constellation as a line item for your supply costs on your next utility bill.
- How do I know if my switch request was rejected? If you are enrolling with Constellation for the first time and we receive an enrollment rejection from your utility, we will notify you via email.
- What should I do if my request to switch is rejected? In most cases, if you receive a rejection email it will ask you to Contact Us to determine the reason and if the issue can be remediated. Connecticut residents who are rejected for a hardship block are specifically asked to contact their local utility, not Constellation, to have the block removed.
If you received a notification asking you to contact your utility about a hardship block on your account, we will automatically resubmit your request to switch in 3 weeks.
If you receive any other type of rejection notice from us, you will need to Contact Us.
- Why does it take so long for the switch process to happen? Switching processes vary from state to state and utility to utility. Like all suppliers, Constellation submits your enrollment request to the local utility, and we receive a date for your start date to go into effect based on the switching processing guidelines in your area.
- Why does the utility need to approve my switch? Each party in your service area has a part to play. Part of the utility’s responsibility in deregulation is to review enrollment requests and approve or reject based on established guidelines set up by the state and/or utility.
- My bill is still showing my utility as my supplier, and I signed up months ago. What is going on? If you signed up to switch to Constellation, and it has been more than 2 billing cycles, we suggest you Contact Us so that our Customer Care team can research your request.